Saturday, November 7, 2009

Croatia....not an island off the coast of Africa!


Just for the record, "my friend" who I am very close with thought Croatia was an island off one of the coasts of Africa and that people spoke French there....don't judge! Also for the record many people ask me where Croatia is so I didn't feel so alone.

So I have been doing some research on Croatia and a little bit on Slovenia and I wanted to share a few intersting things that I have learned. One is that in Zagreb there is a large spanish speaking population, and the Spanish speakers are from this hemesphere. I'm excited and I hope that I get to use my spanish. I'm bringing my "Predicad el Evangelio" with me and I have been frantically trying to finish it before I get to the MTC. It's funny, I prayed that I would be able to speak spanish on my mission, and I thought Heavenly Father had other plans for me. My friend Erik said one time, "if there is anything that I learned from my mission it is that prayer works". I guess I'm just starting early.

In testimony meeting on sunday I shrank in my seat while mom announced almost the whole mission process to the ward before getting to the puch line...where I am going on my mission. Well, it turned out to be a great thing because someone in the ward came back last year from serving a mission in Croatia and found my mom after sacrament. I talked to her for a while and she told me about the Spanish population in Zagreb. She also speaks Spanish and said that she was able to use the language quite a bit and even translated during church. I personally think that this is going to be a very exciting part for me while I am serving in Croatia. Many people know I love languages and want to learn as many as possible, and many people know that I have always wanted to get into translating. I have done some translating and it was not easy, but my enthusiasm made up for most of my mistakes, hopefully.

Well, if you have any thing to informe me about Croatia let me know, particularly anything about the food (I just want to know if it will be easy not getting fat, because from what I know now, some of the dishes sound disgusting, excellent for my waisline!)








No comments: