Thursday, December 23, 2010

Nov 29 - Thanksgiving Hurts!

Dobar Dan svima!

I forget every year why I think Thanksgiving is a hard holiday to have. I stuff my face like a fat kid in a room full of candy and then feel the pain affects of it afterward. Oh well at least it was fun and worth all the pain I went through. So this is how it went down. First off, we got some good recipes from family members and then we just split the menu and went on our ways cooking. Sister Laws and I made FOUR pies! Yeah! They were good too. We made mom's cherry pie, apple pie, cheese thing pie, and Elder Rhodes mom's chocolate pie. We weren't going to and then he was really sad so we did it as a surprise. We weren't going to because we didn't know what corn starch is in Croatian. But we put our faith to the test and randomly found some and considered it a sign. We made some roles too and they were awesome!!!! Oh and to remind you it was all made from scratch even the pie crust, thank you thank you. All the pies were great except for the cheese thing one, it ended up tasting like plain egg pie, and so we didn't really eat it. Remember when I made the chemical pumpkin muffins mom? I accidentally put in table spoons of baking soda and powder rather than tea spoons, ha ha even Vanna wouldn't eat it. I found a muffin with a bite taken out and next too it the chewed up, undesired piece in the trash can.
Anyway, the Elders did the turkey, stuffing, potatoes and gravy. They did an excellent job too!

So we sat around the table at the church and pigged out. Elder Bachynski used a towel as a bib since it's the only thing long enough for him. Then we made grateful plates and wrote all the things we are grateful for on them. I will send pictures of them next week, it was great. We then had pie and I almost burst. I was in so much pain. We finally finished the left-overs Sunday and now we just have to finish the pie.

We bring lunch to elderly people every Tuesday and Friday. Everything about service is sooooo great. I love the people we bring food to. They are so great and fun to talk to. They all are around ninety and are so cute and grateful. This week we went over to this couple’s house and we talked to them for a while. At the end the wife pulled off her one glove she was wearing and told us about a disease she has, she asked what to you call it in English and her husband said, "herpes". Obviously she doesn't have an outbreak right now, but told us how it has hurt the circulation in her hands. Then right when we were going to leave she grabs my hand with her HERPES HAND. Fortunately it was my left hand, so I didn't have to touch anything until we got back to the home with the kitchen we bring the lunches from and wash and scrub. All day I would threaten the Elders by saying. "if you don't give me that Book of Mormon I am going to touch you with my Herpes hand." they would always comply.

Well I hope your thanksgiving was wonderful and I miss you all so much!
s ljubavi,
Sestra Dillender

No comments: